Painting a New Concrete Garage Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to paint my recently laid concrete garage floor, but the tin says I have to take off a top layer of concrete crust with a wire brush before painting.
This sounds like a horrible dusty job, is it absolutely necessary and if so does anyone have any tips.

Thanks

Lesleyprez

Sponsored Links
If thats what it says on the tin.........

Better to spend a few hours of purgatory getting your prep right rather than having to do the whole lot over again n a couple of weeks!

Its only what they call Latence..the creamy stuff that floats to the surface when your laying the floor...sometimes there might not be any at all

One thing you must do though is wash it over with acid etch primer otherwise your floor paint may not stick..

Check it out at Jonstones

Hi, if the floor has been power floated (very smooth) you will need an acid etch primer, if the floor has been just troweled, then you can use a thinned down coat of the floor paint to seal the substrate then re coat with a standard coat the next day.

but make sure your floorpaint is the correct one for the job, lots of floor paints will lift if a car is parked on it, especially where the tyres sit on it.
johnstones flortred is perfect for garage floors.

a word of warning though, make sure your cement has completely cured before you paint it, any moisture in the cement will eventually rise to the surface and lift your paint off.

Sponsored Links
Johnstone's Flortred now available in 15,000 different colours. Women drivers who like to adorn there cars with pink items can now have a sexy pink garage floor :LOL:

Hi, if the floor has been power floated (very smooth) you will need an acid etch primer, if the floor has been just troweled, then you can use a thinned down coat of the floor paint to seal the substrate then re coat with a standard coat the next day.

but make sure your floorpaint is the correct one for the job, lots of floor paints will lift if a car is parked on it, especially where the tyres sit on it.

a word of warning though, make sure your cement has completely cured before you paint it, any moisture in the cement will eventually rise to the surface and lift your paint off.

I wonder what brand of paints shop you manage... :rolleyes: :LOL:

LOL

LOL

PPG springs to mind ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back