Painting a New plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all hope someone can point me in the right direction here, Im painting a new plastered wall of new extension. It was plastered about 4-5 weeks ago and had dried out I put a missed coat on (johnson contract white) when finished the surface was drying in patches some dry and some still wet and stayed wet for about an hour. I have since rubbed it all down brushed it off and done another missed coat when rolling the paint came off. I have asked several people saying it need to be sealed up, one saying put on pva 50/50 then a missed coat and the other suggested undercoat (thinned) then a full emulsion.
Hope someone can give me some feedback here, any would be appreciated. (I have a picture but not to sure on how to put it on)

Sponsored Links
Never use any PVA on any new plaster walls or ceilings if your going to paint them. All that is neeed is a mist coat of thinned down emulsion. Let it dry, sand walls, check filling etc and then apply a coat of your chosen colour, slightly thinned first then more coats of un thinned emulsion.
The walls must be dry before each coat is applied. If the subsequent coats are coming off, then its eaither damp or there may be patches that have been polished by the plasterer. This causes fats in the plaster to come to the surface and can be difficult to cover.

Good post Robbie.

You've gotta feel for people with this whole PVA business. I was watching one of those dodgy home re-dec shows on channel 4 a while ago and the woman said " now i'm going to show you how to seal a newly plastered wall", she proceeded to mix up PVA in hot water and applied it, couldn't believe my eyes so i actually made a complaint to channel 4 and just got the usual BS.
Also shows i'm getting old! have never really complained much to anyone in an official capacity but this really left me spewing as i pictured hundreds of people making a horrible mistake, cos after all what reason would they have to believe a so called pro who is so good they're on the telly.

Worth mentioning if you go over the plaster/paint with a coat of zinsser gardz it should bind everything down and stop any more paint lifting (ensure its all dry though).

Thanks Dec ! The thing is when you go to peoples houses and you say why you shouldnt use PVA they say "Well it said on tv the other day...."

Sponsored Links
Hi all many thanks for your input, in the end it was as you say robbie uk polished areas, I did undercoat the wall yesterday and today put on a coat of white emulsion which went on ok, once again thanks for your input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back