Painting a wooden fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Stonelux Fireplace Stone Coating? Its a stone effect paint thats supposed to make an old wooden/plaster/etc surround look like a stone one.

We've recently moved house and I hate the firesurround but we have more important projects to spend money on first, so I just cant justify the cost of a new surround at present. So I though I'd like to give this paint a go, plus they're running a competition on facebook at present and it doesn't look like many people have entered, so I might end up with the paint for free.

I've had a look at the website and Amazon and it looks like the paint has some decent reviews, but just wondered if anyone has first hand experience or any other recommendations that will be fairly cheap.

http://stonelux.go-ecommerce.com/sh...eplace-stone-coating-500ml-primer-fp1-1283210

Www.facebook.com/stonelux

Any help/thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

Lynzi

Sponsored Links
Wow, if it's been used on 60 Minute Makeover it can't, and won't, be very popular! :eek: Maybe that's why not many people have entered the Facebook competition. :confused: :LOL:
It seems like the manufacturers are extremely local to you, so maybe you could pop in and ask to have a look at any examples of what their product looks like on a finished fireplace. I would rather do that first than waste my money on something that could look like it's been slapped on by Peter Andre!. ;) ;)

The before and after pictures look pretty promising and the customer feedback on Amazon is good. I've also found the following blog and they're happy with the finish too:

http://ourhause.wordpress.com/category/stonelux/

For £41.24 (primer and topcoat) I think I'm going to give it a go. Worst case scenario I still dont like it and have to replace it anyway, but I could end up saving myself anywhere between the £300 and £800+ it would cost me for a new stone one.

Getting excited now, I might be able to get rid of the eyesore in the livng room.

I wouldn't be boasting about my product if it had been used on that programme.

Just do a basic (non veined) marble finish. OB Eggshell base coat, extender/opener, a couple of artists oils, white spirit and a sea sponge. Go look it up, its really simple.

Sponsored Links
I think I'm going to give it a go. Worst case scenario I still dont like it and have to replace it anyway...

Getting excited now, I might be able to get rid of the eyesore in the living room.

Good luck with it...perhaps a few pictures of your fireplace before, during and after will help the site get a few more hits. ;)

I like the title of the blog in your link - 'Goodbye Beige Wonder'. The finished article still looks like a 'Beige Wonder' to me. :confused:

It looks amazing guys! I can't believe it, it looks like a brand new surround and its only cost me £40.00 and a bit of time.

I had to apply the primer first and then 3 thin coats of the paint itself, but the coats dried quickly and I got it done in a day (thought it would take longer with my little one running around).

Hopefully I can convince my Husband to let me finish the rest of the living room now we dont have to include the expense of a new stone fireplace!!

I'm so happy, the hideous wooden surround is long gone!

I'd definately recommend this paint if anyone is thinking about a new stone surround. I've saved myself a small fortune.
x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back