Painting a wooden porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started to make a list for items needed to paint my porch when I realised I was going about it as if I was painting wood on the inside.

I don't recall painting anything (apart from using creosote) outdoors and now wondering if I need to prepare differently and use different paints?

Do I just use normal primer (I want to change an existing dark colour to white - see photo) and sand it down first as normal?

Also, which shade of white & finish should I use for the top coat to match it as close as possible to white uPVC windows?

porch-jpg.82343

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Edit: I'm thinking the finish needs to be a matt (possibly eggshell?) finish since the uPVC windows have a flat /dull finish or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personally I think it would look better brown (Sadolin Teak Extra), but if you must make it match plastic windows (which I hate) then sand lightly and use two or three coats of Satinwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back