A few questions about primer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking about spray painting some items. I've heard of people just using primer. What is the finish of primer like in comparison to the standard finishes, eg. gloss and matt? I obviously know that gloss is shiny and matt is dull, but i have no idea what primer is like.

Can primer be purchased in colours other than white?

And in spray paint, is there any advantage of purchasing of paint and primer combined as opposed to separate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
almost dull, but sometimes with a slight sheen rather like eggshell, until you rub it down. It can look flat.

yes. Grey, buff, silver, and sometimes a dull red, depending what you want to paint. The purpose of primer is to adhere tightly to the base material and to provide a good surface for the paint to stick to, In some cases it has anti-corrosion properties or seals the surface, or etches it.

"paint and primer combined" if you mean mixed together, it is a lunatic idea.

You have taken care not to tell us what the items are, what they are made of, if they will be exposed to weather, damp, grease or dirt, if they will be handled or touched so we have no idea if primer is suitable, or why you think spraying would be suitable or economical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back