An easy spray job or quality old style paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new wooden window frame and an exterior door to paint and thought I would have a look through the Internet for it. I came across spray paint that was claimed would suite my purpose. I also saw lots of combined primer/undercoat but I always suspect what looks like an easy option not sure its really effective. So, is there a quality primer, a quality separate undercoat and a quality gloss paint?

Sponsored Links
My spraying is largely limited to interior furniture, using a HVLP set up with 2k (read: toxic isocyanate paints). A few years ago I did spray 3 exterior doors at home using an exterior 2K paint (you mix the paint with a catalyst to make it cure). From memory 1L of primer and 1L of topcoat cost about £80-100.

The finish was lovely but I doubt you have a £500+ HVLP or airless set up. I particularly liked the fact that I could put the door on trestles, spray it and lift it off after 15 minutes. The down side was that the paint didn't flex. As time went on, hairline cracks developed where the rails and styles meet and water got into the cracks. I have since gone back to hand painting the doors.

If the products that you are looking at are spray cans, I would advise against them. It is very difficult to get a decent finish using them unless the area to be sprayed is very thin or small. Additionally, gloss finishes are difficult to achieve on doors because of (dry) overspray.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back