Painting 'green' metal rail fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In order get these prepped for a nice shiny gloss black finish, first I need to wash them down. They are in good order as the house isn't all that old, but what should I wash them down with? Probably very simple, but I wanted to check so that the primer isn't affected but any residual 'soap' etc.

Oh, and as they are in good order, I assume it's still best practice to primer (spray or tin?) and then paint as opposed to painting directly with these 'direct to rust' type paints directly after washing?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
You haven't mentioned sanding.

Even though the existing paint may be in good condition, you must sand to give the new paint a key, otherwise it could peel off, as I'm sure you will see if you don't read this in time.

You haven't mentioned sanding.

Even though the existing paint may be in good condition, you must sand to give the new paint a key, otherwise it could peel off, as I'm sure you will see if you don't read this in time.

Thanks sparkwright. I did indeed sand them, they turned out well in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back