Painting above conservatory roof??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post and not sure if I've done this right re uploading photo to post but I'm after a word of wisdom if someone was to be so kind.

I need to paint the external wall above the conservatory but unsure the best way to tackle it. I was thinking somehow securing a 8x4 sheet across the conservatory ridges with a baton across it so foot a ladder across but not sure whether the conservatory will hold my weight (15st) or if there is a better way to do it without the expense of scaffolding.
Any advice gratefully received

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,181
Sponsored Links
I'd suggest alu ladders, but before that, see if you can take off the grey plastic caps? You should see an I shaped bar that runs along the joints towards the wall.

(Yoda voice)How strong they are, I'm not sure...
but 8x4 is no where near as strong as ladders, but then ladders Ontop of 8x4 is ideal.
See if you can secure the ladder at the ends, to stop it from slipping off as you push against the wall as you paint.

You must use towers on either side of the conservatory with staging bridging across. Nothing else will be safe.

Whoever did the render (if it is render?) did you no favors.

18 or25mm sheets of ply would be OK, provided you can tether them to the wall adequately of course. Though a proper professional would only use scaff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all

I realise the correct way to do this would be scaffolding but was hoping that the 25mm 8x4 sheet that I've got would spread the load enough to do what is an hours painting and save me the additional cost of the scaffolding. I've got the alu ladders but will need them to get up to the top so was hoping for some reassurance that tethering an 8x4 to the wall would suffice after all most of the weight will be nearest the wall where the conservatory is secured. I'll have to see if I can check what load it will take as mentioned above

Thanks again

We just drop scaffold boards across them, no dramas.

I remember having to demolish a conny once and thought I'd just pop up there and stamp the first polycarb sheet down. Not a chance. I now know how much weight these bad boys can take as well as the glazing bars. The fascinating thing about demolition is that it gives you an insight into how strong (or weak) buildings actually are.

Scaffold is the correct way but if you are set on using a board and short ladder, as said secure the board to the wall and screw a good sized batten across the board for the ladder to foot against.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back