Painting an external pine door

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint a pine door, which will be the external pedestrian door to my garage.

It will be sheltered from direct weather but will obviously be outside in the elements.

I want to finish it in gloss paint but should I (can I?) be putting a perservative/cresote on as a base coat?

Sponsored Links
You can use something like Cuprinol clear wood preservative before painting, but not creosote (or substitute). You should apply two coats in quick succession, ie, don't let the first dry before applying the second.

This type of presevative will need at least a few days to dry/soak in (longer in cooler conditions) before you paint over it with your chosen system. It will help protect the wood from wet rot and mould but the finishing paint will be your first line of defence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back