Painting and Filling Skirting Questions

t45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Re: SKIRTING QUESTIONS

Just doing some painting and decorating and i’m working on my skirting.

Just wondering if anyone could help me the the following:

1. What brush is best to use for painting eggshell on skirting?

2. What technique should i use? i.e long strokes?

3. Holes and bumps and bits in skirting: what is the best filler for small holes? Should i use powdered filler such as Toupret or a ronseal 2 part filler?

4. There is a biggish gap in the corner where 2 skirting meet – it’s a mess – any ideas on how to fill this? (would ronseal2 part wood filler work?
I shall try to add some pictures

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
PICTURES OF SKIRTING
skirting corner image.jpg
skirting corner image.jpg

any 2 pack wood filler should do, that corner is a bit of a hatchet job, I'd be more inclined to cut the skirt off about a foot and insert a new piece if you can find a match to it and take off that small skirting and fit matching skirting but if that’s not viable you'll likely have to fill in layers to get a good fill. I would fill the bottom to the V first and shape that, if you time it right you can do a lot of the shaping before sanding. after the lower part is done you can then work on the curved bit. less is more with this and patience is the game. The little notch can be filled but just drill down into the wood a bit, maybe 5 -10mm to help hold the filler in place.

Sponsored Links
I second the 2 pack (car filler) recommendation for any knocks and bumps.

Please DO NOT use the powdered fillers that you add water too. After a few years they will blow.

Personally, I would be inclined to remove the remaining (less tall) original shirting and find some more torus skirting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back