Painting and sealing windows

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

Bit of a change of plan with the Timber Windows. I no longer have the £s to replace them as the other bits for the house came in more expensive than I anticipated. So I need the originals to last a few years while I restore the coffers.

Two questions:-

1. These timber windows are currently stained, can I just (white) paint directly over this, with a light sanding.
2. I am removing all the putty as it is dried out and cracked, what should I replace it with (there isn't enough room for timber beading)?

Thanks,

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do don't spend too much money on them. Those windows are not properly designed for double glazed units and Linsead oil putty is one of the worst things for breaking down the seal on a DGU.

You will be lucky to get a few years before the units start misting up.
Assuming your not going to route out the frames to the correct rebate depths and add drainage and ventilation holes and correct beading anything will be a temporary so keep it cheap and simple.

If you can make up some sort of beading at least it will be much easier to get the units out when they do mist up.

Just renovated ours with same treatment. Gave them a good sand, oil based primer undercoat and oil based topcoat. Also re- beaded and used butyl putty, although agree with gazman your options are limited as there's not enough rebate depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back