painting artex. has a sheen on it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint a couple of ceilings that have been artexed. the artex seems to have a finish onit that is shiny, as in it could have been painted with eggshell or something like that. because of this shiny surface I am worried that the emulsion will not adher. any ideas

Sponsored Links
I would imagine it's just a silk emulsion but might be wrong.

On a flat ceiling/wall I would always recommend that silk emulsion should have a light sanding before applying matt over it. That's not practical on an Artexed ceiling and I've never had a problem with adhesion when applying a good quality matt emulsion over the top of it but if it's a greasy or dirty surface you should clean it with sugar soap and rinse off with clean water, allowing to dry before painting.

Sponsored Links
No. PVA and paint are not compatible and shouldn't be used together.

If it is a silk emulsion, doing as previously stated should be all that is required. If you use a good trade emulsion you should water it down a little (up to 10% max.) but if you are using standard retail emulsion you can use it neat.

If the existing paint is an oil based eggshell or gloss then you may have to use a high grip primer like Zinsser BullsEye but that will be expensive. A thinned oil based undercoat may also do the trick but you should test either method first before doing the whole ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back