Painting bare walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very basic question but completely new to DIY.

I've stripped some wallpaper from a downstairs toilet and the walls are very bare as you can see from the photograph.

View media item 50718
Planning on sanding the walls down and then painting the room white.

However unsure what paint I should be buying. Can you advise what I should buy that is undercoat etc.?

Sponsored Links
I find it a good idea to 1st coat with zinsser Gardz as it will seal in any remaining wall paper paste. You can then paint your top coats over this. It's a bit of a time saver as washing all the paste off can be a pain and any that gets missed can react with your emulsion.

I did this recently and sanded the walls down with a block to remove any remaining dried paste. Filled in any inperfections, sanded again and was left with a very nice finish.

Sponsored Links
You don't really need to apply an undercoat for a bare wall but mostly need a precoat application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back