Painting brickwork in old garage - looking for preparation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I've got this old garage which I want to paint white on the inside, straight onto the brickwork (ignore the gaps, I'm learning how to repoint).

Two questions:

1) What sort / brand of paint would I want to use? (Garage isn't dry at all, it's very prone to damp)

2) What's the best way to clean and prepare the surface? God knows what sort of chemicals and substances have touched the wall - is there anything that will nuke the surface to ensure it's a clean slate?

Ta,
P

TEOBGq9.jpg

QNYITF3.jpg

Sponsored Links
if it was me, I would want to repoint that terrible brickwork before painting, with sand and cement.

If there are greasy or oily marks, scrub them off with sugar soap.

If it's just a garage, you can wash the walls with a hosepipe and water. It will mostly be dust and cobwebs. Do that before the pointing, it will harden better if the walls are not too dry.

Although white vinyl emulsion would do for a bit, I'd use white masonry paint. It lasts better and will withstand washing with water.

An own-brand from Tesco or Wickes will do, it is cheapest in white, but don't buy a "value" "essentials" or "basics" line as it will be watery rubbish.

Look for a 15 litre tub or thereabouts, ang get a stirrer that goes in an electric drill.

Apply one or two mist coats, thinned with water, first, it will soak into the surface and act like a primer. This is very important for adhesion and durability.

A roller is quickest, but you are pretty sure to need a big brush to fill in the mortar lines and edges. Leave the bottom row till last and put down newspaper or you will get grit on your brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back