Painting exteriors walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bank holiday weekend is upon us and I'm going to make a start on painting the house.

Firstly I need some advice on the preparation.

The paint that's currently on the brickwork is very flakey.

I'm planning on jet washing the whole house to remove the flakey paint and clean the surface ready for painting.

Obviously the jet wash isn't a sand blaster and is only powerful enough to remove the loose paint. This will leave me with patchy walls until the paint is applied. My first question is, will the final coat show these patches through it?

Also, i'm getting damp on the inside of the walls. I think this is due to the paint failing and it not being treated in a long time.

What sort of paint should I use to combat this and prevent it from continuing?

I take it a primer coat and two coats will be suffice?

Any advice will be greatly received!

Please see below images of the paint work

Sponsored Links
The paint on the outside will have nothing to do with damp on the inside of the walls. You will have a 9 " cavity at least on an old terrace. Any internal damp will eaither be condesation or moisture leaking in from loose slates or coming over the back of the gutters and into the cavity.
That said once the flaky paint has been removed, use a stabilsing solution on the patches and when dry apply two coats of a good exterior emulsion. You dont need a primer as such.

The paint on the outside will have nothing to do with damp on the inside of the walls. You will have a 9 " cavity at least on an old terrace. Any internal damp will eaither be condesation or moisture leaking in from loose slates or coming over the back of the gutters and into the cavity.
That said once the flaky paint has been removed, use a stabilsing solution on the patches and when dry apply two coats of a good exterior emulsion. You dont need a primer as such.

Hi Robbie,

I've had someone on the roof to check the tiles and they're all sound.

There is no gutted on gable wall, just on the front and the back.

Like you said it could just be condensation. Is there any way to erradicate this?

Sponsored Links
Condensation is caused by warm air touching a cooler surface. If its the bedroom, we all produce a lot of moisture as we sleep. If the room is not vented and there is no air flow this will touch the cooler outer walls and cause mould. Doesnt help if furniture is tight up against walls either.
Worth checking the gutters to see if there is too big of a gap betwen slates and gutters as water can blow back under the gutters and into the cavity when windy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back