Painting Cast Alloy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cast alloy sign I want to paint. I've sanded it and cleaned it thoroughly. I intend on painting it with Hammerite in dark green and gold. Do I need any king of undercoat or are there better metal paints I could use?

Thanks li

Sponsored Links
Hammerite is actually not very good.

You'll do better with an ordinary oil paint system.

Give it a spray over first with an etching primer......excellent for castings albeit slightly more expensive than other rattle cans.
Id really go for brushing enamel paint other than Hammerite - as per JohnD.
I wonder if Japlac is still about?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Will it be indoors?

Or exposec to the weather?

I'd use an ordinary household oil-based gloss paint system.

But you could use a spray-can for the black and primer, if you don't already have a can of black gloss in the house (I always have, it's a very common colour to need).

Under the gold paint (use a small artists paintbrush if it lettering or design) a light-coloured or silver undercoat will give a better effect than if you try to paint gold over black. I have an idea gilders apply it onto dull red.

I often put metal objects in a low oven (80C, maybe) to harden the paint more quickly once it is a day or so old.

If you have to buy paint specially, Humbrol do 120ml tins, used by model makers, or 10ml/14ml might be enough if you need very little gold. They have their own brand of thinners. it may be some common solvent, I don't know.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I need to get some etching primer, will tape pff the letters once primed and spray the black on, then get some gold enamel gold paint. Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back