Painting Cast Iron Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings and Salutations

Have got two victorian cast iron radiators which I am restoring and have had them shotblasted back to the bar metal however I am struggling to find suitable products to prime and paint them other than your simple rattle can.

Ideally I would like to spray using the compressor and spray gun I have used in the past rather than brush

Google / Amazon isnt my friend on this occassion so would welcome any links to suppliers.

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Simply use a metal primer and then normal oil based u/c and gloss ( or satin, or eggshell) That's how they were done when new - with a brush on a long metal stem, head @ 90 degrees.;)

I personally paint them the way described above but another option would be to get top quality metal paint in the colour of your choice and spray them lightly a few coats, seems a lot of hassle to get the big sprayer out to spray 2 radiators

Do you mean the old multi-section rads?

I assumed that they are normally sprayed using an electrostatic HVLP. It seems that powder coating can be problematic given that the heating process can break down the seals between the sections.

Are you confident that your compressor/gun set up will enable you to coat all of the surfaces? That said, the gun will hit everything that the sand blasting managed to reach (which may not be all surfaces).

Try phoning Morrells or Morelli for advice with regards to their paints that you can use with your current set up

https://www.morrells.co.uk/

https://morelli.co.uk/

My spraying experience is limited to (HVLP) 2 pack on MDF, I know eff all about spraying metal.

BTW- I would strongly recommend pressure testing the rads before painting them if they are long. I helped a client with a 4m rad a few years ago- simply lifting it weakened the joins.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Opps, some things to consider there. Am taking onboard what was mentioned previously about filling with water and then putting some air pressure in afterwards with a foot pump.

The rads are fairly short, less than a meter long on both instances.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back