Painting ceiling after touchup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my kitchen painted last year including the ceiling.
Last month I had some additional kitchen work done with kitchen units.
The ceiling was left a bit of a mess so I attempted to touch it up using the same paint. I overdone it and it looks really bad ie large darker patches where I’ve touched up.
I can see the paint is a lot thicker where I’ve touched up and a different texture as I’ve used a different roller.
I now want to attempt to paint the entire ceiling with two coats to level it all out.
My question is whether I need to sand down the touched up patches first ie will the same noticeable difference reoccur when I repaint the whole ceiling due to the thicker patches I’ve already touched up, or if I simply repaint the whole ceiling will it just blend in.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Painting isn’t one of my finer DIY skills.

Report •••

Sponsored Links
Sand the ceiling all over - you don't have to crazy, just get rid of any obvious imperfections and high spots and roller marks.

It can only help.

If the paint build up is that obvious, perhaps hit it (locally) with 180 grit paper.

Sponsored Links
Light sand and a big roller. Bigger the better. Leyland smart matt brilliant white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back