Painting Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the artexing in my kitchen and bathroom skimmed to give a nice smooth surface recently. This was done about 5 weeks ago so has dried nicely. Now I have to paint it. I am seeing conflicting information about whether I should "prime" before painting or not?
If so, what is a good primer?

I'm planning on painting in traditional white, any suggestions on a good paint to use (will be shopping in B+Q as I have vouchers to use up.

Appreciate any advice from you pros.

Thanks
Ozz

Sponsored Links
Just dilute matt emulsion with water as per the instructions on the tin. then apply whatever type of paint you want.

The paint is thinned so that the moisture in the paint does not completely soak in to the plaster, by thinning there is possibility of some of the water evaporating into the room, allowing the paint to coalesce.

Paint that is not thinned just sits on the surface of the plaster and often peels off when the next coat is applied.

opps, thanks for the tip. I guess Matt Emulsion will be fine as a top coat too.

Sponsored Links
Agreed just thin down normal emulsion. You can get new plaster primer paints but thinning is just as effective and cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back