Painting onto hardboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have built some shelves in an alcove using battening and 6mm hardboard from B&Q (the pale brown kind with smooth surface top and bottom)

Can I paint white gloss directly onto this, or does it need to be primed all over? I have some mdf primer would that do? And should I just prime the edges or do I need to prime the smooth top and bottom surfaces too?

Big thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
hi Tom, you will need to prime it, if you have got mdf primer you might as well use it I would'nt normally recommend it as it's just a marketing ploy any wood primer is fine!.if your glossing best to undercoat aswell as the brown colour will "grin" through if you don't put enough coats on! hope this helps!
also Tom!

tom,

With regard to the mdf primer I would before entire application do a small test area and offer enough time for the primer to both dry and cure, then give it the finger nail test, if in any way the primer is removed please post back.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back