Painting Cellar Walls and Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can share some advice, Im thinking of painting my Cellar Walls and Floor but wasnt sure what type of paint to use. The walls seemed to be have been painted in the past and are quire rough. The floor is clean and never been painted.

Any advice on type of paint and paint application method would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Jonstones do a good cellar paint..but be warned it smells and youll need to be careful with fumes etc

If its dry down there id go for masonry pant as it has a built in fungicide

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

It is a little damp on both walls and floor and I dont have any window so verntialtion would be a problem. Would ordinary masonay paint suffice?

Hmm..have the walls been painted before?...if not you might need something breathable down there..masonry paint could end up pelling on damp wales

The only problem with breathable paint is its likely to go mouldy

Check out cellar paint on the net and see what they come up with..there might be a good water based alternative now...the last time Iused it I was floating three inches off the floor afterwards!!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes it seems as though the walls have been painted before but not the floor. Most of the floor is dry apart from one corner which seems slightly damp. I only wanted to tidy it up and dont have a real use for the cellar.

Regards

Hi,

Rather then painting the walls I was thinking of using plastic cladding. Plan is to PVA the walls and then nail cladding into timber fixed to the wall. Its quite dry in the cellar not much damp. Was also planning to lay some Visqueen DPM and then lino on top.

How does this sound? What are the drawbacks of whats being planned if any?

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back