Painting concrete floor after tiles have been removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some advice about painting a concrete floor that is cuurrently laid with tiles which probably contain some asbestos ... The tiles need to come up because they're broken in some places etc.

I've done a bit of research and realise that the jury's out on removing old floor tiles. Best to keep them in place if they're not damaged, best to use a professional to remove them (it's not licensable work), but if you do it yourself then keep tiles and area wet, try not to break them up as you lift them off with scraper or shovel, double bag, wear appropriate disposable clothing, Don't Hoover, use a wet brush to sweep dust and dispose afterwards etc

My question is this, if/once the tiles do come off, can the black "glue" left on the concrete (which i understand probably would also contain asbestos) just be left as is before painting with concrete paint, or does it require some initial treatment? Don't fancy sanding it ... Will life expectancy of the paint be reduced if there are lumps and bumps on the floor?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back