Painting Dark Stair Hand Rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My other half would like to remodel our staircase and paint the dark wooden hand rails and newel caps with a grey gloss paint.

I have been trying to puzzle out the best way to paint the wood and get a good finish.

My current thoughts are..

1) Give it a light sanding
2) Paint it with some form of stain blocker
3) Paint it with some form or primer (maybe 2 coats)
4) Paint it with the gloss.
5) Coat the gloss with some form of protection against chipping?

Does this sound like an ok plan? Or am I missing some vital steps? If there anything I can paint over the gloss to protect it from chips etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need a stain block, just a primer that will stick to the wood after its been sanded. Zinsser BIN or 123 will be fine then carry on with your undercoat and gloss. Don't put a sealer over the gloss as this wouldn't stop it chipping anyway. As long as you use the right primer this will stop it chipping off.

If your using a quick dry gloss/water based, then you really need a water based undercoat to go on first. The link you have is for an oil based undercoat. And use a decent synthetic bristle brush

Sponsored Links
Robbie, thanks for the continued advice. I am slowly learning some new life skills!

I went for the Oil based undercoat as the Zinsser White Primer said it was "solvent based". I presume if I get a water/acrylic base undercoat it will happily sit on the Zinsser White Primer?

Thanks again.

Zinsser makes the primer that will adhere to the stained timber after it has been rubbed down and prepared. This will stop it chipping off in the future. Regardless of whether it is a water based one or Shellac, or oil based primer, water based undercoat and gloss / Satin will go on top no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back