Painting disaster

Yes, water stains CAN take a while to show through but more often appear in minutes.

Your words were:
If you were to apply an emulsion paint over an old water stain the stain would'nt reappear straight away

which is not entirely accurate.

This has turned into childish tit-for-tat just because you misinterpreted my second post in this thread, a genuine query to you, which was then acknowledged in my third post, again misunderstood by you.

;)

Sponsored Links
Now, now lads.

In the real world, we'd all be able to see it and adjust accordingly to the problem, so "we" have to make cold judgments on things like this.

My guess would be.. ahem..

This is a bungalow and bungalows suffer from condensation. It may just be on the outside walls but I know not so ... condensation goes into the paper over time, coupled with cooking stains from the kitchen or even the odd fag, (tobacco not woofter) then, (I'll bet me brushmate on this) ...the Johnstone's emulsion that was applied, was not trade. It will be the retail stuff, which is very poor and porous and will give a bad finish.

A picture paints a thousand words ;)

Of course there are other factors of which could be involved here, this was never my argument yet if you notice these were never mentioned. I wonder why, what I disliked was being challenged with advice that was based on contradiction.

Dec

Sponsored Links
There seems to be some confusion here as to the intentions of my posts on this topic, so let me clarify:

Firstly, I wrote that it was 'possible' there were water stains bleeding through and also that it is 'feasible' to have damp without the wall feeling damp.
I will admit that I thought the OP meant they shouldn't have painted over the wallpaper as a time saving measure rather than for any reason regarding dye bleed. (Which as yet hasn't been confirmed one way or the other.)
Having realised this could be a factor following Dec's first post, I then went on to genuinely ask Dec if he felt this was a real possibility because I would normally expect the dyes to run upon contact with the emulsion, as I later went on to explain.
This seemed to be taken as some sort of attack, which Dec felt it was necessary to defend, and from then on the whole thread went downhill.
I challenged the fact that water stains 'would' take a few weeks to show through because we all know, that more often than not, they appear 'almost' immediately.
I tried explaining this last night, but again, it was obviously taken the wrong way.

I logged in a few minutes ago to find Dec had again posted saying I was being contradictory and that he never said that there weren't any other factors that could be involved:

Of course there are other factors of which could be involved here, this was never my argument yet if you notice these were never mentioned. I wonder why, what I disliked was being challenged with advice that was based on contradiction.

Dec

Yet we are not talking of water stains here are we, It is obvious what the op's problem is, your not understanding it is coming across as strange.

Dec

Does anyone else see the irony here?

I don't know why I should waste time justifying or defending my posts, but it seems that Dec has taken offence at something he shouldn't have and I therefore feel that this should be cleared up once and for all.

My apologies to you django47 for my participation in this argument in your genuine thread. :oops:

mrH. :)

Also, thank you growler for agreeing that a picture would help, which is another point I made in my original post.

Thanks to everyone who has answered to my problem. You have all been very helpful and I have taken on board everything, and learned a thing or two as well. On a section of one wall where the back boiler was removed and the wall was plastered, it's perfect. Just where I painted over wallpaper, and in fact anywhere that wasn't covered in this wallpaper is normal. I believe the paper had some kind of coating, as opposed to ordinary printed paper. Hopefully all the coats it's had so far will act as a good undercoat so maybe I will buy a tester and paint a section and leave it a week or two, and as so many of you have been so kind in advising me, I will come back and report the outcome.
Thank you very much for all your help and advice.

In my opinion painting over wallpaper is a dumb way to do things. The house is probably worth £200K plus yet you don't even treat it with respect. Painting wallpaper will devalue your property. If you MUST continue with this folly then take the right advice given at the start of the thread and seal with with OIL BASED undercoat.

If you continue with your emulsion your problem will remain, it is the emulsion in fact that is the cause of the problem, the coating you speak of is a form of acrylic laquer that would have allowed light sponging to remove finger marks etc.

This coating has now erroded allowing the inks within the paper to be released, hence your problem, you have to seal the surface with either of the products that I mentioned in my inital post. Continuing with the emulsion without first sealing the surface would be foolhardy.

Dec

Wow!.I didn't mean to get you folks to fall out over my 'bleedin' wallpaper. Please shake hands and be friends as I'm sure you were once as it sounds like you have known one another for some time. Walls can be fixed a lot easier and quicker than human relationships. You never know when you need a friend. And thank you both for your kind help and advice. Forget the timescale, you were both right in telling me about the 'bleeding'. It's a bleedin problem aint it mate. Oh, and thanks for the advice on what I should try to cure it.

Django47 (Micky)

Never any intention to fall out on my part django47.

We all have our opinions and are entitled to the as far as I'm concerned.
I hold no grudges against anyone in internet land until they start throwing insults around, as has been the case in another thread recently.

I bear no grudge with Dec, who certainly knows his onions, which is why I queried his opinion in the first place. I think it's just a misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion. We love each other really!! ;)

Thanks for your post Micky.

mrH. :)

Mr H,
thanks for your reply. I'm so pleased that my 'Bleeding' wall has not started WW3. My concience is clear, which is more than I can say for my walls. You are obviously far more experienced than me, so what do you reckon of this idea. I get some plaster or artex, or somesuch, in powder form, and mixed it in water to the consistancy of paint. Then applied it with brush or roller to the walls, sort of like an undercoat. In your experience, would that give my walls a surface that I could paint over in the normal way, without these horrible stains 'bleeding' through. Of course I would give the plaster plenty of time to dry thoroughly before starting to paint. Or would I be wasting even more time and effort. I would appreciate any feedback before I even consider trying this idea. Thanks

Micky (django47)

Well, I can honestly say that I have never tried it and wouldn't even contemplate it.

If it is the case that the dyes that are bleeding and you were to do this, as you would still be using a water based system, then in all likelihood the same problem would occur.

I think the best course of action, if an oil based sealer doesn't work, would be to remove the paper and start again. It may seem more costly and labour intensive, but in the long run it would probably prove far more economical.

Micky

Follow the advice of which I offered you in my first reply to your problem, there is no other cure other than removing the wallcovering.

Dec

If you continue with your emulsion your problem will remain, it is the emulsion in fact that is the cause of the problem, the coating you speak of is a form of acrylic laquer that would have allowed light sponging to remove finger marks etc.

This coating has now erroded allowing the inks within the paper to be released, hence your problem, you have to seal the surface with either of the products that I mentioned in my inital post. Continuing with the emulsion without first sealing the surface would be foolhardy.

Dec
Thanks, I will go back to your inital post and make a note of what I need to buy. Certain section of the wall had some work done and had a plaster coat, ie; no wallpaper, and the finish is perfect. The paint wasn't cheap, in fact a 5 litre tin was dearer than Dulux equiv'.
I came out of hospital a while ago and because I'm in so much pain, I just wanted to clean it up with a quick fix. Didn't expect this to happen.
Thanks,
django47(micky)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back