Painting Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and really hoping someone can offer some advice.

We are currently decorating our dining room. As the walls weren't the best we put up some superfresco textured paper and then painted it. The paint we have used is the Dulux matt one that you get mixed in store...we used a roller to do the main walls and a brush to edge in the top/bottom/corners.

We have currently put 2 coats on and the finish is terrible. Around the top/bottom edges where the edging has overlapped the rollering there is a darker line, this is the same in the corners and generally on the flat walls it also looks very patchy.

Can anyone suggest anything to solve this problem? I'm not too sure what we have done wrong, I;m hoping that it is just still drying but I'm not too convinced (first coat was done approx 4 days ago, 2nd on Tues, the edging was done Tues/last night).

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Are you putting enough paint on? I've seen many examples of people not applying enough paint, especially when using a roller, spreading it too far and the result is very patchy as there isn't enough paint on the surface of the wall or whatever to blend properly.

Might not be the case in your instance but just an observation.

Are you putting enough paint on? I've seen many examples of people not applying enough paint, especially when using a roller, spreading it too far and the result is very patchy as there isn't enough paint on the surface of the wall or whatever to blend properly.

Might not be the case in your instance but just an observation.

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

I'm not too sure...my husband has a tendency to do very light coverings whereas I am the other way and probably put too much on...it seems to be where there are heavier coverings in the corners etc that it looks much darker...our problem is that we don't know if it is still wet and that's why it looks darker, or whether it's the amount of paint on those area's that makes it look darker?

What colour is the wall underneath the wallpaper?

What colour is the paint you are putting on top?

The darker areas may simply be the wallpaper glue which hasn't dried yet. How long ago was it papered?

Some textured papers are difficult to apply paint to with a consistent finish. Also, from scratch, you should probably assume you'll need at least 3 coats, possibly 4, depending on the make of paint and the colour.

Use a sheepskin long pile roller (holds lots of paint), a 7" one if you can find one, and work slowly are firmly so the paint is pressed into all the depressions/indents in the paper.

Finally, make sure you stir the paint very thoroughly before pouring into your paint tray (to avoid unmixed streaks of the pigment from the mixing process contaminating the finish).

Sponsored Links

Some textured papers are difficult to apply paint to with a consistent finish. Also, from scratch, you should probably assume you'll need at least 3 coats, possibly 4, depending on the make of paint and the colour.

Use a sheepskin long pile roller (holds lots of paint), a 7" one if you can find one, and work slowly are firmly so the paint is pressed into all the depressions/indents in the paper.

The wall beneath the paper was a cream colour, the paper is white and the paint is a light sage colour. Would you say the best thing is to put quite a lot of paint on then? As we have been putting on a medium amount of paint on the roller but then doing a final roll with hardly any paint on...

The wall beneath the paper was a cream colour, the paper is white and the paint is a light sage colour. Would you say the best thing is to put quite a lot of paint on then? As we have been putting on a medium amount of paint on the roller but then doing a final roll with hardly any paint on...

What is the point of rollering with hardly any paint on?!

Follow the advice above and it should be fine. Greens can be tricky, but aim for 3 reasonable generous (but consistent) coats over the whole surface. Then let it dry for at least 48 hours before re-assessing. Apply a 4th if need be.

What is the point of rollering with hardly any paint on?!

Follow the advice above and it should be fine. Greens can be tricky, but aim for 3 reasonable generous (but consistent) coats over the whole surface. Then let it dry for at least 48 hours before re-assessing. Apply a 4th if need be.

Thanks very much for your advice...the final top roll with hardly any paint is my husbands idea...I'm a novice to painting and he seemed to know what he was doing?! We will try another (thicker) coat tonight and see how we get on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back