Patchy wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plastered my living room,painted the ceiling(white) and 2 walls (brown,actually cookie dough dulux range) all fine. Painted last 2 walls in dark brown had 2 full coats as well as a mist coat. The wall dried with darker edges where it had been cut in.I gave it another coat and it has got worse :mad: The paint was wickes paint,could this be the problem? I went over the cutting in with the roller as close to the coving as possible. Paint never dried too quickly have done a fair bit of painting and this has never happened before. An help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by patchy? Sounds like a texture issue. Nowt wrong with Wickes paints.

Thanks for the reply.Just reading some older posts. Could it be that im pressing too hard? But ive never had this before. I allways go over painted area quite a bit with the roller as i dont like the bubbly finish that i have seen on other walls where the paint has been put on too thick.The texture is all the same i plastered the walls myself.When i go over it the patches are in different areas. So its either the way im painting or the paint. I only use dulux normally.I allways overlap previous painted area. One patchy area i had i went over covering a large area and that also has dried lighter than rest of wall.

If you plastered it yourself a common mistake is to use too much PVA which then bleeds through the plaster if you over-trowel it. Paint doesn't like PVA.

Have you tried thinning it a little to get rid of roller stipple?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention the paint has dried lighter all round the plaster beads as well. Everything is fine with the dulux paint

I thinned the 3rd coat. I plastered all walls the same just the paint on the wickes chocalate walls are the problem

Can you describe patchy? Is it texture or not sticking?

gave it a 4th coat of the wickes paint no change. Still lighter colour all round plaster corner beads. The paint is supposed to be wipeable but when my wife wiped it it leaves marks on the wall and the cloth is coloured with the paint. I have now bought Dulux (mixed to similar colour) and everything is fine. No more colour difference round beads. Conclusion wickes paint is naff.

gave it a 4th coat of the wickes paint no change. Still lighter colour all round plaster corner beads. The paint is supposed to be wipeable but when my wife wiped it it leaves marks on the wall and the cloth is coloured with the paint. I have now bought Dulux (mixed to similar colour) and everything is fine. No more colour difference round beads. Conclusion wickes paint is naff.
i agree with this, i used wickes paint on one room and wiped the wall with a cloth only to find paint on it, wickes pant is rubbish wether its got there name on it or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back