painting emulsion on old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small area of wall that needs repainting , it is just the old plaster with no paint on it. is it best to primer the area first or I have read about PVA sealer, just wondered the best approach
thanks

Sponsored Links
Never use PVA as a primer for paint. There are purpose made plaster primer/sealers to stop the plaster sucking the water out of the paint, but not PVA.

A mist coat (80% matt emulsion 20% water) makes a perfectly good primer.

thanks for that, as there are a few blemishes on the old plaster could I use a thin film of filler and then paint over that?

Sponsored Links
assuming you are going to use emulsion paint, you thin the first (mist) coat with water. It will sink in and seal the surface. It should practically disappear. When dry (will not take long) you overpaint with the unthinned emulsion.

I prefer to use two mist coats. When the wall stops sucking the moisture from your brush you have done enough. You can use white matt which is cheaper than colours and will equalise the absorbency and wall colour. This will highlight to the eye any remaining defects, which you can fill or smooth and re-mist. Some fillers soften when wet so paint quickly and leave to harden. Plaster does not do that so I prefer the smallest possible pack of Easiplast or joint cement, which I find easier to use for patching and filling in thin layers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back