Painting exterior pressure treated fencing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to paint my exterior fencing (and gates) which is pressure treated and have been told you can not just throw a coat of paint on it and expect it to last. Has anyone had any experience on painting these type of fences?

Also which paint to go for? I am looking for black. Ronseal do a 5 year guarantee paint but have read reviews that say you are lucky to get 1 without flaking and discoloration happening. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/decora...ressure-treated.400953/#3093041#ixzz30784ShZK

Sponsored Links
What sort of finish do you want? You can get black stains/preservers, both water and oil based, that would last years and not flake

What sort of finish do you want? You can get black stains/preservers, both water and oil based, that would last years and not flake

Any finish really, as long as it's black and not going to need me to paint it every year, every few years I could deal with.

What stain would you recommend? And can you paint it straight on after a good hose down?

Don't hose it down! The timber needs to be dry.

Old fashioned black creosote is the best, it is sold "for professional use only" in 20/25l tubs minimum.

An alternative to that is 'Creoseal Plus', the dark version is near enough black after 2 coats.

Or Cuprinol/Ronseal do water based shed and fence stains in black.

Sponsored Links
Don't hose it down! The timber needs to be dry.

Old fashioned black creosote is the best, it is sold "for professional use only" in 20/25l tubs minimum.

An alternative to that is 'Creoseal Plus', the dark version is near enough black after 2 coats.

Or Cuprinol/Ronseal do water based shed and fence stains in black.

Sorry I meant hose it down to get rid of moss and let it dry out for a few days.

Ok will look into what you mentioned and see if I can pick it up, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back