Painting exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a newbie here, so be gentle. I'm planning to paint my house this year, its roughcast white and its been at least 5-6 years since its been done and the paint is noticeably discolouring. A visual inspection is showing the existing paint is cracked and in places separating from the roughcast, i can snap sections off.

I've not tried this before, I was wondering how to make the surface sound before painting, or if i even should. To manually remove all of the sections of flaking paint before starting would be a massive job and one that would take weeks/scaffolding etc, so i am wondering if there is an alternative method.

Also, is there a good exterior paint to use? I've used Sandtex to paint a small lower section, but it did not last that long (I'm in Scotland, so weather a bit punishing).

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it, I would suggest remove worst flaking paint with wire brush, clean off walls with water power jet ( power jet will remove some flaking paint) you may need to treat areas with a fungicide solution to kill moss etc. fill damaged areas with exterior filler, Then Seal Walls with stabilising solution, and apply masonry paint of your choice Two coats, (Textured or smooth)
I use Dulux Weathershield Products , this is a coastal area Sea Salts/ high winds etc.

Without seeing it, I would suggest remove worst flaking paint with wire brush, clean off walls with water power jet ( power jet will remove some flaking paint) you may need to treat areas with a fungicide solution to kill moss etc. fill damaged areas with exterior filler, Then Seal Walls with stabilising solution, and apply masonry paint of your choice Two coats, (Textured or smooth)
I use Dulux Weathershield Products , this is a coastal area Sea Salts/ high winds etc.

Many thanks for this advice, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back