painting facia boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wooden facia board on the south side of my house has a lot of shakes in it. I've tried removing all old paint sanding and filling them prior to painting with Dulux weathershield primer and top coat, but within 2 years it had cracked and peeled off
Any advice other than remove and fit plastic? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to leave the filler next time..just give it a good rub down and then undercoat and two coats of water based gloss...its very flexible and may move with the cracks

Sometimes filler, being brittle, can break and fall out.

Thanks dor that, I haven't tried water bases gloss before, as I assumed a oil based one would be best, but will give it a go as it can't give a worse result than the Weathershield

Sponsored Links
The weathersheild stuff is good...but it just might not be right for your situation..

Give them a good rub down first though...and if the shakes are big enough you might be able to fill them with caulk, which is also very flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back