Painting flaking garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I’m hoping for some advice. The previous owners painted the metal garage door and it’s flaking off. I have a feeling it might have been painted in emulsion which they seem to have been obsessed with. I’ve tried pressure washing it Which at the time seemed to work and then more has flaked off since and using a heat gun which wasn’t particularly effective. Is there a type of sealer I could use to stop any more flaking? I was planning on trying sanding it next and hoping that I could seal it with something to stop any more coming off then painting?

5189BB8E-A82F-440E-BF96-B9DCB64F690D.jpeg

Attachments

• 79457245-BF44-4B3A-9826-06D60E30C8E6.jpeg
    79457245-BF44-4B3A-9826-06D60E30C8E6.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
I would try a hot air gun and a scraper. That should help to remove the paint. Plenty of YouTube videos if you wanted to have a squid before hand.

I wouldn’t attempt to seal it, just get it removed and do the job properly :)

Make sure the metal is not galvanised as a lot are especially older ones.

How do I check if it’s galvanised? Sorry complete novice!

Sponsored Links
magnet

appearance can be similar to aluminium

if galvanised it will have a dull light grey appearance, probably with rust marks where screws go in or it has been badly scratched or eroded. The galvanising protects the steel, and the paint prevents the galvanising layer from weathering away.

If you use a scraper or sandpaper, you will scrape off (some of) the galvanising, which is a bad thing to do.

is the red colour the peeling paint, and the sandy layer the old paint or undercoat?

Magnet? it would be attracted if it was galvanised or not, do what jd said but i would ignore the magnet bit unless he thinks it may be ally but ally or galvanised it would need a acid etch primer

There appears to be the top red coat and then a light grey underneath that. Underneath that is the sandy colour which I think is the original bare metal maybe? Perhaps the grey that looks like paint is the galvanised layer? Don’t know if it would come off flaking like this?

magnet

appearance can be similar to aluminium

if galvanised it will have a dull light grey appearance, probably with rust marks where screws go in or it has been badly scratched or eroded. The galvanising protects the steel, and the paint prevents the galvanising layer from weathering away.

If you use a scraper or sandpaper, you will scrape off (some of) the galvanising, which is a bad thing to do.

is the red colour the peeling paint, and the sandy layer the old paint or undercoat?

hard to tell but to me looks like red, sand, and then the metal as jd said it will be a light grey,.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back