Painting Formica

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have cleaned the Formica and have rubbed it down with some wet & dry (p240). What paint to use next ?
I have been told an oil based undercoat is best to use directly on top of formica, however I will be finishing this job off with a water based paint, so is there any problems over painting an oil based paint within a day or two with a water based paint.
Or should I just do the whole job with water based stuff?

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would guess this will need a special primer I think Dulux use Super Grip it is a two pack product and expect to pay around 40.00 for 2.5 lts . Quite expensive if you only need a small amount .There may single type paints that are cheaper but it would depend on the use and size of the finished product.

Regards

I would have recommended Zinsser B-I-N (shellac based) for Formica as it will adhere to it without sanding but, as you have already sanded, Dulux Super Grip primer (water based) does a good job when the Formica is sanded. Both are quick drying.

Just apply one coat of either and use your water based finish paint over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back