Painting Garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of sectional aluminium insulated garage doors.
These came pre-painted

The paint is sound, but having changed the window on the house I need to think about painting these doors.

Presuming I will need to brush apply, any particular paint I should consider, or any specific primer first.
Existing paint has a slight plastic feel to it ....

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will need a primer given that you are painting over existing paint. With out more info, I think you should be ok to "scuff" the existing finish with 180 grit paper (making sure that you do not cut through the existing paint), then undercoat and paint. Unfortunately, you do not mention what finish paint you intend to use, so it is difficult to advise further.

I don't know what finish is on there ... it is slightly textured aluminium .. so sandpaper will not help.
I'll fully clean first with a degreaser) then prepare with a scotch pad.
I want a semi-matt finish not high gloss ..... welcome any advice on a paint to use.

At a guess, it might be a powder coat finish. Agreed, use a webrax/scotchbrite pad. I would be inclined to use an oil based undercoat and then an exterior oil based finish.

Sponsored Links
IG …. have asked, but no response so far.
My guess is they imported these doors from the US.

At a guess, it might be a powder coat finish. Agreed, use a webrax/scotchbrite pad. I would be inclined to use an oil based undercoat and then an exterior oil based finish.
No it’s not powder coat, it was sold as ‘paint finish’

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back