Painting house exterior in cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had quotes from professional painters to re-paint exterior of our house (painted render) but a few non-professional people have warned me to wait until spring because of dropping temperatures. Who is right?

The painters would use Sandtex masonry paint or similar, which states not to use if temperature will drop below 8C while drying, and current daytime temperatures are 12-14C.

Should I be worried? One painter has already gone awol otherwise it would have been done by now, but I want to seal it before the wetter winter weather comes back as we've had some water ingress in the past.

Sponsored Links
As you have left it this late I would suggest leaving it until late spring,
Early September is about the latest I would re-paint exterior, what about the woodwork, , if its gloss it will go flat due to moisture in the air,
due to the cost and outlay, I would only suggest painting the exterior if one was thinking of selling the property during the winter.
If you have to, You could use Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint, shower resistant within 15 minutes, temperature 5 C

There are still some good days at this time of year to be able to paint outside. Temperature is the key really as it gives a very short window of time to be able to gloss before the due starts to come down. I would think a painter with lots of interior work on might say leave it till spring, where some others may say its fine to do it. It can be done on the right day but you have to be careful.
The Dulux " All seasons " is quite good as its Pliolite based and is rain proof in 15/20 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back