Painting internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a few doors to paint. The white old gloss is now a bit yellowish .

Could I use decorators caulk to fill in hairline cracks or is it best to use wood filler? Will an acrylic paint stick to these?

I've sanded the doors down and want to apply an acrylic primer & undercoat just to cover some spots of old varnish where the paint has flaked off. Can I just apply one coat of acrylic white satin paint or will I have to paint the whole doors with the acrylic primer & undercoat first?

Many thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
As long as all of the shine has been taken off the gloss, you can use acrylic/water based paints on top of it, but it is vitally important that there is no sheen remaining before doing so or the new paint will fail. A primer/undercoat will give a bit more body to the new satin paint, and a high grip version will make your life far easier.

Hairline cracks in the corners of moulded panels will be fine but in joints between rails and stiles it will probably be more noticeable after painting - remember that caulk can't be sanded smooth like regular wood/multi purpose fillers.
Small chips should also be filled before painting so that they blend in better but you may need to use some form of stain block as coloured varnishes, or even bare wood, can bleed through water based paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back