Painting kitchen cupboards and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

anyone done this with any degree of durability and success?

If so, methods, tips, and recommendations for products appreciated :)

(Current units are chipboard-type basis, with a mid-oak (grained, not smooth) coating, I think).

Sponsored Links
Zinsser BIN can be used over melamine but unless you spray it, it is virtually impossible to get a flat finish. There are numerous melamine primers available though.

Wash the doors down with isopropyl alcohol to degrease them. Then lightly sand with 180 grit paper.

Prime and apply top coats of your choice.

Thanks Opps :)

The Zinsser is the primer, isn't it?

From your post, I surmise that the Zinsser will be tough as, so the top coat(s) will have a fighting chance of lasting a while?

Any recommendations for varnishes / lacquers, or are they top coat-specific?

Zinsser BIN is pigmented shellac suspended in alcohol. You can buy it in spray cans or tins. The can version can be tinted to pastel colours. You could just apply two or three coats of BIN in a colour of your choice provided you don't mind the 10(?)% sheen level.

If you can live with a slightly stippled finish you can apply it by roller. You will need a mohair roller. Do not use a foam based roller, the alcohol degrades the foam and causes it to swell. Brushes/rollers can be cleaned using household ammonia.

BIN dries very quickly. It is difficult to get a good finish by brushing, hence the recommendation to spray it or roll it.

If you want a flatter hand painted finish then use one of the melamine paints. Most only seem to be available in white though so you could use that as a "primer" and then overcoat it with water or oil based eggshell or satinwood.

Oil based paints tend to be more durable than waterbased paints but you will have a much longer drying time.

Sponsored Links
@opps , how and with what would you recommend tinting the Zinsser BIN?

Go to an independent decorators' merchant (ie not a DIY shed). They should be able to tell you how dark they can can go using their universal tints. The tints are not free so they will add a mixing charge (fair enough). However, because their is only one "base" colour, they will not be able to guarantee an "exact" colour.

In the past I have painted whole (previously) wallpapered rooms with BIN. The clients weren't too bothered about the cream shade though.

For the record. Oil based paints yellow as a result of a lack of ultraviolet light... Paint the inside of a cupboard white- it will go yellow (unless you leave the door open all day, and leave the curtains open).

Waterbased paints will not yellow, but they are not very durable.

I am not aware of BIN (plus pigment/tints) yellowing.

Well,

all finished.
Stripped the cupboards all back to bare, two coats of BIN (doors laid flat, to minimise runs).

Left to dry, then two coats of Ronseal cupboard paint.

Result looks very acceptable (very smooth, and appears to be quite a (plasticised?) and durable finish. Although, only time will tell.

:)

Well,

we're in March, and they're still mark / chip free, so I'd commend the products and methods above, for a cheap(ish) kitchen facelift(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back