1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting kitchen units (ed.)

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Ross Noakes, 19 Jan 2021.

1. Ross Noakes

Ross Noakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, 1st post in here so please be gentle.
    I'm repainting my kitchen units & have horrendous roller marks, probably as I overdid it with the furniture paint.
    Is there anyway I can sort this & make it look a bit more appealing to the eye.
    Thanks 16110622770414330513794152317981.jpg 16110622950316286385890402026993.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    it looks wet in patches.

how did you clean and degrease it before painting?

I can't see roller marks, only patchiness.

Are the marks you mean lines from the edges of the roller? Or is it texture? Did you use a mohair or sheepskin roller?

did you take the handles off before painting?

4. Ross Noakes

Ross Noakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi mate, I didn't use a primer beforehand as people were saying it was fine to use without.
    The patches are really shiny & even when dry to touch they still give the impression that the paint job is wet.

5. Lenny Coleman

Lenny Coleman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's not a good look.... on the plus side, it's a good colour you've chosen.

So, what's the curing time of the paint you used? What paint is it? What surface did you paint over?

With that finish, I'd would wait until it's fully cured then take the doors and handles off and sand them.

When painting kitchens like this, I'd normally use a roller, then lay off with a brush.

Before doing that, though - I'd check how well the paint adheres in the first place. Try scratching it. If the paint comes off quite easily, you'll have a bit more work to do.

6. Ross Noakes

Ross Noakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It was Wilko furniture & cupboard paint...possibly oil based & the Kitchen cabinets are possibly MDF but not sure what they're finished with.
    If I sand the units down do you think priming beforehand this time will give them a better finish ?
    Thanks guys

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Lenny Coleman

Lenny Coleman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's a number of things that could have caused this.
    If the paint itself is well adhered after the full curing time (do a scratch test) then I'd test one door.
    Take it off, clean and degrease, sand, clean, and apply another coat. Like I said, I always lay it off with a brush after rolling. Leave it laying flat until it's dry.
    If it's still a problem after that, then you'll be looking at a bit more work... Remember, though - there's very little that can't be fixed.

9. Lenny Coleman

Lenny Coleman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Make sure you've allowed it to fully cure first, mind.

10. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you stir the tin before use? Was the paint new and fresh? I used some old white gloss to do my bannisters with once. It never fully cured and you could take it off with your nail even years later!

11. Ross Noakes

Ross Noakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I really appreciate the advice guys, I'll give it a bash over the weekend & keep you posted.
    I've done a scratch test & its fully cured.

12. Lenny Coleman

Lenny Coleman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How'd you get on?