painting lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what paint do i need to paint lead flashing.our next door neighbors had theres painted a couple of years ago and still looks brand new.got some black weathershield but would i have to use a metal primer first.don't remember the guy putting on a primer,when he painted nexts doors, he just painted straight on it.the finnish looks like it is plastic coated

Sponsored Links
there is a special oil you can get for lead, "Patination Oil" it is called. It gives a protective layer but is not a paint. you might have to go to a proper builders or plumbers merchant to get it. Should be under roofing supplies.

You are supposed to put it onto new lead the day of fixing, so you may have to clean up your old lead before applying.

Either use the oil or go straight on with a coat of gloss, no primer is needed for lead because of its softness...just for good measure I would rub some wire wool over it (wet) to give the surface a key first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back