Painting matt on top of satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked a million times already...

I have just purchased my first house, and very excitedly started painting the kitchen today. The walls are currently painted with what looks like satin white paint. I imagine it could be some sort of 'kitchen' paint with anti grease properties etc

I tried to paint a new matt colour on top of the existing paint and it's come up all blotchy in little bumps like the paint hasn't gone on right. Is this due to the existing paint underneath? If so, what is best to do? Sand the new paint back off and enough of the old to get rid of the shine? Or best to go all the way back to plaster? Can I use an electric sander to save time?

Many thanks, sorry for my ignorance.

Jim

Sponsored Links
It could be down to the different paints, or that your old kitchen paint is dirty - splodges of grease or whatever that you might not necessarily see. I've never had a problem with different paints before, this whole house I painted flat matt onto all sorts of surfaces and it took, but I do hear some people do have a problem.
Yes, you could wash the walls and sand them, but I would like to add my experience of matt paint in a kitchen - don't do it! You can't wash matt paint and a kitchen gets dirty quick, grease plus all the steam etc. I repainted my kitchen not long after I put a lovely grey matt paint on the walls because it looked terrible.

Congrats on your new home!

whssign.gif

A quick ones over of the walls with a medium rough sandpaper won't do any harm either.

Also, I think homebase do a Matt Kitchen Paint if you don't want the satin appearance.

Sponsored Links
Did your second attempt work jimbo84uk?

Having the same issue (not a kitchen) and wondering if I should exchange paint for silk version. As even after sanding previous coat I've suffered same cracking and bumps, just not frequently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back