Painting matt over silk walls..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l'm painting a matt grey over white silk walls and using wilko's paint, the white is showing through alot even though it's the first coat. Do you think the second coat will cover it or is the silk paint the problem and how would l solve the problem. Advice please..

Sponsored Links
what your ment to off done is rub the walls down to get the shine off the silk then the matt will hold alot better you may have a problem with the matt paint cracking as it wont hold very well to the silk.

carl

I am in the process of painting another room with Matt over silk. I've never had a problem with cracking so far and it's 2 years since I first painted eithout sanding. I just read on the Internet you shouldn't sand silk paint before painting with matt so I think it's very confusing gor amateur painters. About to paint kitchen so not sure whether to sand or not in there. Don't fancy it really as just paid to have all kitchen cupboards painted

The fact it’s silk paint underneath will only affect the adhesion, and whether or not that’s an issue is debatable, as per pps. (fwiw I’d just wash down with sugar soap before painting).
Assuming the paint is taking ok, then the fact the old colour showing through is because of the quality of the paint. Haven’t used wilko paint myself but presume it’s cheap? You get what you pay for, I’d spend a bit more on a decent trade paint with good opacity. Even then expect to need 2 coats but then you’re done, likely to need 3, maybe 4 with the cheap stuff.

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of painting another room with Matt over silk. I've never had a problem with cracking so far and it's 2 years since I first painted eithout sanding. I just read on the Internet you shouldn't sand silk paint before painting with matt so I think it's very confusing gor amateur painters. About to paint kitchen so not sure whether to sand or not in there. Don't fancy it really as just paid to have all kitchen cupboards painted
A light sanding all over will help to new paint to adhere - I cannot think of a good reason not to sand it.

Depends on the emulsion used over silk.
Some emulsions stick better than others over silk plus a wash over helps.
I use window cleaning microfiber washer T thing with paint cleaning solution as quick.
Also read emulsion data sheet for clarifying what is recommend over silk

I've used the Leyland trade acrylic primer in the past, slightly thinned. Do the whole room in an hour and dries quick. There is special paint you can put on first but I've never needed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back