Painting MDF doors (and removing vinyl wrap)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

Our kitchen is pretty tatty, and whilst we're doing the house from top to bottom, the kitchen is getting ever closer; standard MDF doors with a vinyl wrap glued to the surface. Two of the doors are missing, and the rest are a bit tatty.

I was going to replace all of the doors with new MDF, simply painted and a handle thrown on - I knocked up a prototype over the weekend, and I'm pretty happy with the result (mostly as it only cost me £2.50). It's a bit utilitarian:

View media item 85920
That said, the vinyl has peeled away above the oven, so I was thinking that a heat gun might easily remove the rest of the stuff - so I wouldn't have to make new doors. Anyhow, questions:

1) Assuming I've donned a respirator, am I on a hiding to nothing trying to remove the vinyl with a heat gun?

2) When priming the prototype, I noticed that the fibres lifted a bit; the generic water-based primer and undercoat obviously makes the stuff swell. I was going to give it a couple of coats of primer, then sand with 120 - does that sound ok, and would using an orbital be too much for it? I've got a sanding block to fall back on.

3) Crown solo satin was what I had, and It seemed to leave a decent-ish finish with the MDF laid flat on the ground. I've used a brush, but would I be better off doing two coats with a gloss roller?

I'd use oil-based paint, but I've got a parrot in the house, and I'm quite fond of him.[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back