Painting MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to make raised panel kitchen units from MDF and intend painting them. Is there a particular type of top coat required, bearing in mind that they will be taking a few knocks. Is it recommended to use a varnish or sealer over the top coat. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use a thinned coat of acrylic primer undercoat first. ...then sand the whole area as it will 'fur up'...

After that two coats of water or oil based satin or eggshell finish....again lightly sanding between each coat.

Apply all coats with a foam radiator roller to keep te orange peel effect down

You dont have to use a sealer over the top.

There are also specific MDF primers available, which are good at sealing the pinholes that you can get when painting MDF.

See here

as an example.

I've been advised to use Melamine Paint as a top coat particulary in bathroom / kitchen environments.. It produces a durable satin finish & requires no primer, goes on with one coat even on MDF. Get down to homebase & check it out.

Sponsored Links
I would still expect it to cause some furing of the surface...I would never advocate one coat wonder paint....you can finish it with whatever you like id go for sating myself as gloss will show up every surface imperfection....'melamine paint' is probably just the retail markets name for something based on acrylic eggshell.

If its thick and goes on heavy you will end up with a horrid orange peel effect....far better to build up thinner coats slowly...sanding between each coat.

People have been painting their kitchens for years with alsorts...'kitchen and bathroom paint' is a gimmick aimed at the diy market.....they have succeeded in making people beleive its the only thing you can use....it isnt....ask any painter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back