Painting my newly plastered kitchen...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having the kitchen done at the moment and have had the walls and ceiling plastered (walls bonding coat and skim, ceiling plasterboard and skim). I've painted the ceiling with a mist coat of Dulux Retail Rich Matt, because my mrs was in a rush and wanted it done yesterday and I'm going to finish off with 2 coats of Dulux Retail Kitchen Matt in Brilliant White.

The walls are nowhere near dry yet but when they are I want to make a good job of them, using a colour mixed from the Dulux Colour Palette. What paint should I go for, the kitchen can be quite prone to condensation, so would an eggshell finish be best? Perhaps an anti-mould paint? If I do go for one of these finishes what sort of timescale am I looking at before I can paint the walls?

Just out of interest - what would be the best way to paint a kitchen (white ceiling, coloured walls) to resist against condensation onto newly plastered walls and ceiling? I'm assuming Trade Paint would be the way to go, reading other posts on here, but would be interested to hear what the pros think.

Thanks for any help, e_v.

Sponsored Links
I've painted the ceiling with a mist coat of Dulux Retail Rich Matt,

O dear...I wonder why no one had answer this thread...apparently Rich Matt shouldnt be used for a mist coat..it could peel.

So I wouldnt recommend the same for the walls.

As the walls are new youll have to let them dry completely, (thats not going to impress the mrs is it!) if its only a skim it shouldnt take long, if its deep plaster then your either going to have to wait months or use a non vinyl matt in order for them to breath and allow any moisture to get out.

Anti mould paint is a bit over the top for your average kitchen..just try to keep the condensation down a little.

If you have to paint it with non vinyl matt leave it for a few months then go over it with vinyl matt silk eggshell or soft sheen..id avoid kithen and bathroom paint..it can be a nightmare to apply.

Noted on the Rich Matt - will be getting some Trade Supermatt for the mist coat on the walls then!

Had a look the other day on the Dulux Trade website but it seems that they don't do a Non-vinyl matt in the colour the mrs wants (69BG 77/076 Holiday Blues 6). It seems that Supermatt and Fast Matt are the only non-vinyl ones but they only come in 34 colours!

Any suggestions or should I get down to the local decorator centre and plead for help?!

Thanks, e_v

Yeh...divorce the mrs..

Or...if its a pastel colour ask them to mix it on the machine for you..they will probably say it wont match exactly blah de blah..and they cant guarentee it..more blahhhhhhhs...but it wont be far off.

If they wont do it crown (covermatt) or Johnstones (Jonmat) will

Sponsored Links
Afraid I'm still in the soppy, would-do-anything-for-her phase!

I emailed Dulux Trade tech people who recommended Diamond Quick Drying Eggshell as it comes in the right colour and is a non Vinyl paint, I've just emailed Crown Trade to see if they do a similar colour in their Covermatt, which I can go back to and overpaint with an eggshell in 6 months or so.

I'm going to email Dulux again and make sure that the stuff they recommended is really ok for use on plaster that's only been on the walls for 2 weeks (didn't mention that last time, just said it was newly plastered).

Hopefully will get an answer within a day or 2 so I can get a couple of coats done over the weekend, was pretty shocked at how expensive 5L of the Dulux stuff was though ~£50 - I suppose you pay once so you get a good finish and don't have to do it again!

Thanks for the ideas, I'll update with what I get and how it goes!

I hope they have re formulated the 'diamond' range...youll find from threads on here that it it isnt very popular among decorators..growler doesnt like it either ;) :evil:

You certainly shouldnt use it on fresh plaster though..

I would go go a mix of a non vinyl for now.then redecorate in a few months..remember, you might have settlement cracks anyway, and its a lot better to use cheap stuff first then have to paint over expensive diamond paints.

Got a reply from Dulux again - Trade Diamond Eggshell isn't suitable for newly plastered walls, use Supermatt or Fastmatt. I'm giving up with them for now I think.

Crown aren't much better - they tell me to use Eggshell or Acrylic Eggshell too! I'm going down to the local Brewer's later, they stock Crown, Dulux, Jonhstone's. I'll see whether they will colour match me a Supermatt, Covermatt or Jonmat to the colour I want then I'll do the eggshell in 6 months (not decided whether I can be doing with proper solvent based eggshell or the acrylic water based stuff yet, is there really much difference?)

Pretty damning that the supplier's tech support people can't even give a straight-forward answer though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back