Painting new external sand & cement render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

We had our house rendered, overall a decent finish but there are some areas where its a not perfect which was only visible after painting. Waited till the render was fully cured...

Originally we used Dulux Trade Weathershield in brilliant white - the finish looked good but after 3 coats (1 watered down) but looked light grey rather than white.

I then tried a 4th coat using Sandtex Trade brilliant white smooth as I wasn't convinced that the dulux was actually white - Ive used before and had good results in, still the colour looks light grey (so I have no clue why that would be but perhaps it is just the light).

The Sandtex however seems to be more sheeny and is showing up more imperfections....

Im at a bit of a loss in terms of getting the finish we want and getting it more white.

Perhaps I should go back to using the Deluxe Weathershield but use a cream colour (would that look less grey in the shade?)

Also I was using a medium pile roller which Id discussed with the chap at Dulux based on the finish of the render... but perhaps I should use a longer nap or a textured nap to get a more even finish??

Any thoughts helpful!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you got staining coming through then won't matter which paint you have. Phone dulux technical and ask for advice as you don't want paint reactions swapping brands and keep coating.

Thanks for reply - can I ask what you mean by staining coming through?

its not patchy in terms of overall colour, just looks like the colour is a light grey and not white?

Can I also ask what the best roller is to use for a sand & cement render?

I phoned Dulux and they want me to send them examples of the paint.

Anything in the render that's causing paint to discolour? That's what I'm thinking as normally this don't happen. You say it is not the true colour you are expecting.
Medium to Long pile roller 12" or bigger. The bigger the better. Depends what you get on with best but long pile will hold more and flood in better

Sponsored Links
Thanks Wayners, I really don't know but Id assume having done a 3 full coats after the mist one that it couldn't seep through? Im going to do another one and use a long pile roller which is 12" hopefully that helps.

Sometimes I think it could just be the light and because there is a tree blocking it at a certain angle but I still think it should be whiter as if I take out a white towel and put it against it, its whiter....

Painters on large paper or card and hold up to compare white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back