Painting new plaster in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had my bathroom plastered (whole room including cieling), the plaster has had about a month to dry and I have bought dulux bathroom paint.
I wondered if anyone has any advice on painting - someone I spoke to said I should water down the first coat of paint when going on to bare plaster. Is this good advice?

Somewhere else I used to live, the paint always flaked off the bathroom cieling above the shower - so I really want to get this right from the start to avoid that situation

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to clear up the advise you had, yes do thin the first coat but not with the bathroom paint. What you need is Matt emulsion.
Doesn't need to be the same colour, white will do or if you have some Matt left over from a previous job.

Make sure there is adaquate ventilation in the bathroom as condensation is the main reason why paint flakes off in bathrooms and ceiling go black, nothing to do with the type of paint applied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back