painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my living ceiling has been skimmed (over artex).

I bought some Dulux Trade Supermatt, thinned it with water and painted the celing.

A few area look like they are not taking the paint. What would cause this and what can I do to correct it?

Cheers!

View media item 39923

Sponsored Links
Is the plaster in that area dusty, did it look different to the rest of the ceiling prior to painting, maybe a little lighter in colour?

Is the plaster in that area dusty, did it look different to the rest of the ceiling prior to painting, maybe a little lighter in colour?
Not that I had noticed. All a fairly uniform pink colour before painting.

No lights in the room at present, I'll have a better look during the day.

Is the plaster low or uneven at that point or is it flat and smooth?
Could well just be a shadow coming through the mist coat and may look fine after next coats.

Sponsored Links
I had this exact problem and a decorator friend advised the plaster had been "over polished".

Definitely over polished. Give a sand to give a key then mis coat again. Then paint as you would. If you paint over this the first miss coat will simply wrap itself round the roller. If ain't happened this time it will the next time it's painted.

You don't need to mist coat it again, you apply the mist coat to satisfy the porousity of the plaster, over polishing causes an adhesion problem. Tap the area with your finger nail if it feels hollow lift the paint off with a scraper, rough it up with some 240 silicone carbide, apply mist coat to the area, fill, rub back flush, spot prime the filler with your mist coat paint and then two full coats over the whole ceiling.

you need to score it with a stanley knife then use poly filler sand it down with really course sand paper then apply a gloss paint as emulsion wont stick

you need to score it with a stanley knife then use poly filler sand it down with really course sand paper then apply a gloss paint as emulsion wont stick

That sounds unnecessarily labour intensive and time-consuming.

I'd go with handyman77's advice.

Bit OTT!
Just needs a sand down to provide a key. Then spot MIST coat. Then crack on. emulsion doesnt to adhere to gloss properly either. :rolleyes:

Just found this site,thought I would join in the discussions.Having been in the decorating trade for nearly 50 years I may be able to pass on some of my experience.Have to say that I have had this trouble many times and I usually leave the mist coat to dry,give the bare patches a coat over and leave to dry then give the surface two coats of emulsion.I would not recommend sanding as you may scratch the surface which dispite filling may show up when dry.

I have had to mess around after many a plasterer along as it's on 120 scratch won't do no damage....

The best advice I can give you is to get a professional to do the work. If you'd rather wait for things to go wrong and shell out more money than the job is worth then be my guest. People train for this. Sure it may seem easy when your just watching it but, wait till you get into the nitty-gritty stuff, which I'm sure you already have, then you'll realize you at a point of no return. Not unless you pay to get trained properly or just go ahead and call the cavalry.

Painting and Decorating Chelsea
London painting and decorating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back