Painting newly plastered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A week ago we had our ceiling plastered over with a smooth finish, plasterer advised us to not paint till Sunday / Monday, with it being Christmas it was left till today.

It all looked dry before painting, but after applying our mist coat a small patch has appeared, this bit had a hole originally so possibly slightly thicker plaster?

The rest is looking perfect but just this bit you can see darker plaster through, what’s the best way to tackle this now we’ve applied a mist coat to the rest of the surface?

Thanks
F4CF469B-2825-41DF-9E27-37217C096CB2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
simps100, good evening.

I would not worry too much at present, the mist coat is not there for its Obliteration properties, it is applied for a different reason, to satisfy the plasters need to absorb moisture prior to a full thicker paint finish being applied.

The following two coats of un watered down Emulsion will in all likelihood mask the mark, the subsequent two coats have a good obliteration function.

If needed [I doubt it] would be to employ a Stain Blocker but that is some way down the line.

Ken.

simps100, good evening.

I would not worry too much at present, the mist coat is not there for its Obliteration properties, it is applied for a different reason, to satisfy the plasters need to absorb moisture prior to a full thicker paint finish being applied.

The following two coats of un watered down Emulsion will in all likelihood mask the mark, the subsequent two coats have a good obliteration function.

If needed [I doubt it] would be to employ a Stain Blocker but that is some way down the line.

Ken.

Great thanks for the re-assurance- it’s actually starting to look better now the paints drying, looking abit patchy in some places but as you say the mist coat isn’t there to look nice!

I assume should be ok with just the one mist coat?

simps100, good evening again.

The industry standard is indeed a mist + 2 full coats on new Plaster.

See what result is visible tomorrow?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Ken's advice is sound. The mist coat acts as a "primer" as well as showing up imperfections (if there are any). In the event of any high spots, it is easier to sand then back if the emulsion is not full-fat.

Failure to apply a mist coat can result in the water in the paint being sucked into the plaster. When you apply subsequent coats, it can soften the previous coat and pull it off the wall (particularly when using a roller).

simps100, following on from opps post above.

if there is a high spot, IMO the best way to locate it is so shine a powerful torch across the ceiling meaning hold the torch parallel to the ceiling and sweep the beam over the surface, that way high points will show up.

if you shine a light directly at the surface, the light scatter will not show anything.

Trick is as above an oblique light source.

Ken

Thanks for the tips - as the mist coat drys more the spot in the picture I took is looking better and better.

Thanks for the tips re high spots - I’ll be sure to check that tomroow before applying the non watered down coat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back