Painting newly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,

Quite new here and want some advice.

Haven't really done much decorating in the past and have followed some old posts here with regards to decorating my newly plastered living room.

So, I bought some Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt and watered in down 4 parts paint and 1 part water.

Have rolled this on to my skimmed walls (plaster dried), although I watered it down it still came out quite thick.

I painted this first coat about 3 hours ago and I may be being paranoid but I seem to be able to scrape it off with a finger nail if I apply enough pressure.

Am I being paranoid as it hasn't properly dried yet? Or will it toughen up with a second coat?

Thanks for any comments which will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
should not have used Vinyl matt to mist coat :eek: contract matt is the one. whats happened is that the plaster has sucked in all the water and left the vinyl matt sitting on the surface. you may get away with applying further coats on the wall but strong poss that the existing coat will now peel :cry: Leave it a day just to make sure it really is dry then try it and see or give it a coat of ulta grip/super grip both Dulux products then paint in your chosen finish. good luck and keeps us posted on the results. ;)

I think vinyl matt os ok on a thin skim...so that shouldnt be the reason it can be picked off easy...allthough IMO non vinyl is better.

Probably down to the paint being a bit too thick...nothing you can do about it now though....as long as no one goes up to the wall and starts scratching it with their nails you should be ok.

Sponsored Links
prahaps your putting it on to thick after you have rolled your roller out go back over it lightly laying it out even ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back