Painting newly skimmed walls

More I think about what your saying Joe I think its a load of tosh, I get a phone call yesterday asking do I want to go and help out an old mate jointing and top coating/ sealing plasterboard ready to paint after which the painter can choose any paint or decoration he likes be it vinyl silk, vinyl matt , matt or wallpaper , your the only one to say this about like for like and its got to be vinyl well if you think your right then fair enough but I know different

Sponsored Links
Give me the science then. On the back of the tin of vinyl is says "Water down for new plaster and other absorbent surfaces". Contract is an absorbent surface isn't it? That's why it needs a vinyl mist coat. You tell me why it doesn't. Forget what your mates do, they are blindly doing it wrong.

Does it say only use vinyl on the back? even dulux says to use matt , blimey ide best go tell my mate to tell the decorators and the specifier's that if they are thinking of using vinyl on the topcoat They had best forget it I can see the whole job coming to a halt now:cry:

Why do it wrong when you can do it right? Is contract matt an absorbent surface? Yes or no.

Sponsored Links
After 2 mist coats of matt the walls suction has reduced drastically to enable the final coat to go on so I say yes it seals walls as for vinyl I have come across paint jobs where you can just peel it off in strips where its just sat on the walls

Have you tried skimming/blending plaster on a matt wall and a vinyl wall without PVA? POLY VINYL ACETATE? Which was easier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back