Painting old plywood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the 1970s house I'm renovating, the internal doors are all varnished ply. Instead of buying new doors, I thought I'd paint the existing ones and put on new handles. I've done one (two coats water-based primer plus acrylic top coat) but it doesn't look great. I'm now wondering whether this is a silly idea or maybe I should use oil-based paint? Any hints (or rebukes :oops:)? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I rebuke thee in the name of shellac...thou should`st use both special primer by ye Dulux or Zinnsser.........followed by paint with the base of oil. Apply thyself and the paint diligently with a small roller and lay off with ye Purdy synthetic bristle brush. Verily, I have done half a score doors thus in my tabernacle and the brightness pleaseth me ;) :LOL:

Last time I went up the mountain...a voice said " are you still taking the tablets?".........yeah, but you only gave me 2 :confused: .......then I was walking on the beach and there was only one set of footprints ...and a voice said "shuttup and get back in front of the rickshaw" :oops:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Last time I went up the mountain...a voice said " are you still taking the tablets?".........yeah, but you only gave me 2 :confused: .......then I was walking on the beach and there was only one set of footprints ...and a voice said "shuttup and get back in front of the rickshaw" :oops:
:

:LOL: Must remember that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back